Besides Kharge, former AICC chief Sonia Gandhi in her capacity as chairman of the parliamentary party also addressed the plenary. In her address, Sonia alluded to her retirement from politics, saying her “innings could conclude with the Bharat Jodo Yatra”.
She added that strong workers are the strength of the party. “Congress is not just a political party, but there is democracy here,” she said.
Here’s what Congress MP & UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi said-
* Our victories in 2004 and 2009 along with the able leadership of Dr Manmohan Singh gave me personal satisfaction but what gratifies me most is that my innings could conclude with the Bharat Jodo Yatra, a turning point for Congress.
* This is a challenging time for Congress and the country as a whole. BJP-RSS has captured and subverted every single institution in the country. It has caused economic ruin by favouring a few businessmen.
* BJP fuelling fire of hatred. It viciously targeted minorities, women, Dalits, tribals.
* We must tackle BJP regime with vigour, reach out to people and convey our message with clarity.
* This is particularly challenging time for Congress, country. PM Modi and BJP have captured every institution.
85th Congress plenary session: Supporters use flower petals to welcome Priyanka Gandhi Vadra
Here are key takeaways from Kharge’s address-
* We will face all challenges in the country. Bharat Jodo yatra was like sunshine for nation. Thousands joined hands with Rahul Gandhi and proved that Congress is still in their hearts. Rahul inspired youth.
* To stop this Plenary Session, BJP conducted a raid on party workers’ residents. They arrested our workers. But we faced them and held this session.
* DNA of those in power in Delhi anti-poor as they are attacking them.
* Our endeavour is to change govts with people’s votes, not through money bags or help from ED, CBI, Income-Tax department.
* Congress only party that can provide stable govt to country.
* Congress will lead, and we will get the majority. We will follow the Constitution and democracy.
* We once again look forward to aligning with like-minded parties to defeat BJP. We are ready to make sacrifices.
With Congress holding its 85th plenary session in Raipur, the party is mulling over preparing ‘Vision Document 2024’ to achieve electoral success in the next Lok Sabha polls.
According to Sources, Congress will prepare Vision Document 2024, following the “largest-ever” mass contact programme Bharat Jodo Yatra, which will encompass issues of unemployment, eradication of poverty, inflation, women empowerment, job creation, and national security.
Sources have also said that the Congress wants to build up a national alliance, but with the precondition of leading it. There are many like-minded parties who have no problem with Congress being the leading party in the alliance, but leaders like Telangana CM K Chandrashekhar Rao, Trinamool Congress with Aam Aadmi Party are towing a different line.
No election for Congress Working Committee, Mallikarjun Kharge to appoint members
– The Congress amended its constitution to provide a 50 per cent reservation to Scheduled Castes (SCs), Scheduled Tribes (STs), Other Backward Classes (OBCs), women, youngsters and minorities in its working committee.
– According to the amended constitution of the party, the Congress Working Committee (CWC) will now include the former prime ministers from the party and the former AICC chiefs. The number of CWC members will go up to 35 from the earlier 25.
– The amended constitution says from now on, the party will only have digital membership and records.
– The party is mulling over preparing ‘Vision Document 2024’ to achieve electoral success in the next Lok Sabha polls.
– According to Sources, Congress will prepare Vision Document 2024, following the “largest-ever” mass contact programme Bharat Jodo Yatra, which will encompass issues of unemployment, eradication of poverty, inflation, women empowerment, job creation, and national security.
Rahul Gandhi arrives in Raipur to attend Congress party’s three-day plenary session
Earlier on Saturday, Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi arrived in Raipur to attend the 85th plenary session of the party. Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel received Priyanka Gandhi at the airport.
Congress workers laid flower petals on the street to welcome party general secretary Priyanka Gandhi and other leaders in Raipur on Saturday for the 85th plenary session.
What happened on Day 1
– On the first day of the session, the Congress steering committee unanimously decided not to hold elections to the CWC and authorised the party chief to nominate its members.
– The decision was taken at the Kharge-led steering committee meeting which members of the Gandhi family skipped.
Steering committee unanimously decided to empower Kharge to nominate members to CWC: Jairam Ramesh
– Later in the day, the party’s subjects committee held its first meeting in which Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi were also present soon after they arrived late Friday afternoon.
– The meeting saw deliberations on the six resolutions to be adopted at the session.
The session, which comes in the backdrop of the Bharat Jodo Yatra that has been touted as a success by the party, is being attended by around 15,000 delegates.
(With inputs from agencies)
The post is published through a syndicated feed and attributed to Times Of India